Sunday, July 18, 2010

domestic goddess

last night i made strawberry jam....in the process i found out that my two youngest children (who aren't that young) don't remember that i did this...guess i've been 'off the domestic' wagon for toooooooo long...it made me think...as the kids got older, i stopped doing things that i did alot when they were little...probably the biggest one would be cooking!  i guess i figure...why cook, when half the time no one is home?  i used to do alot of things, i guess because i was home all day with young children and i had to keep busy or i'd probably kill them!  not really, but, you know what i mean....let's see...what did i used to do....cook, bake, can fruits, make jams, dry foods, sew, make crafts, paint, decorate and refurbish furniture, read, try to garden or at least keep the flowers from dying... i used to drive, drive, drive, it seems like i wouldl get home and then a child would call and i'm ready to be picked up!  loved it when cell phones came around!! saved me alot of trips, back and forth....i love to decorate and make things for my house...then, i'd clean, clean and a little more cleaning...so, that's a bit of what i used to do you guys (k and r), then, we'd go to the park, the beach, the tennis club, or friends for you guys to play and have fun......back in the day that's what we'd do...i felt like we had family night--all day and night..we were always together...and i loved it...sooo...what did you other moms do?  what don't your kids remember?  i swear, kerry doesn't remember half the places we've been or done...sometimes i wonder 'why did i do this?'...i'm finding mine don't remember much...so, i'll just  have to keep reminding them! that will keep me busy...

4 comments:

  1. This is actually kind of encouraging...maybe my kids won't remember if I'm the Kool-Aid mom or not?????? Ha. I didn't know you refurbished furniture. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids don't remember many of the great memories I created. That's the real reason I blog: to remind them of the stuff I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember most things like tennis every day of my life, and visiting Utah, swimming, going to Oregon, making ice cream and dried fruit, you reading to me and playing my beauty and the beast memory game, watching a lot of Andrew lloyd weber.. I remember the important things. I had a lot going on back than in my young life. But I try to remember! You were the best mom. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my time spent way back then was just like yours. It's funny how much we did with young children around. Canning, baking, sewing, crafts, refinishing furniture (yep, me too), and all the running around. We surely did wear many hats! Not sure if my kids remember either.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for making my day with your thoughts...