Thursday, July 24, 2008

pioneer children


pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked....do you think they really did? if so, they just went up in my estimation...i'm proud to say on this pioneer day...that i'm from pioneer stock...i can't imagine walking across the country like they did, pulling handcarts, having babies, just having little children along with them...it's an amazing thing what they did....i'm not sure that i could have made it...hopefully i would have...but, i'm proud of their persistence in getting to a place where they could live in peace...in my family we have other pioneers....tom was a pioneer, he was the first in his family to join the church...then we have jeff who is also a convert, being a pioneer in his family...moving to california with a month old baby made me feel like a pioneer....that was really hard for me...but, i lived through it and came to love where i live...pioneers come in all shapes and sizes...in all times...i am so grateful for the pioneers in my family...my sister wrote about one in this post....i'm grateful that they were strong enough to join the church and move away from their countries to be able to live the way they wanted to...pioneers in my family have made it easier for me to live my life...so on this day, i give thanks for all that you've done....

4 comments:

  1. I love stories about pioneers. I am in awe at anyone that paves the way for others. I love reading their stories. Thanks for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jolyn--it seems amazing what the pioneers did. The more I learn about that time period, the more respect I have for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It is one of my favorites! Yep, I would have been dead before we hit SLC for sure. Glad I my ancestors did the same for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We attended the parade in Utah on the 24th last year, and I shed a tear when the groups came through in costume pulling handcarts and walking along side wagons. I too am very grateful and lean on the pioneers' strength.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for making my day with your thoughts...