Tuesday, September 11, 2007

ya gotta have friends


well, i'm into my new life of living with no kids...so far i've kept pretty busy...after getting home from utah...went to the movies, lunch, the grandbabies came up to visit...i've been trying to clean and organize my house etc. etc. etc...but, you have to have friends...i told my college age kids that they needed to go and say hi to the people in their classes...visit with people to meet new friends...it's sort of funny, but, i'm in the same situation..i've had alot of friends move recently...so, i'm trying to put myself "out there"....tonight we went to the "other side" of the stake for this home clothing party...turned out to be alot of fun...saw people we don't usually see...so, i'm trying to make new friends and keep the old....as the song says...so how do you make friends? it's easier when your kids are in sports or school activities...as we get older...the circle seems to narrow...so, as i'm looking for new friends, new activites...tell me yours...i might use them....

6 comments:

  1. I'm also trying to find lots of new friends. I have figured out (over the many moves) that you have to be proactive about it. Just last week I had a luncheon where I invited a group of ladies from church that I've wanted to get to know better. It was really fun and helped me to put myself out there. I'd say parties or luncheons are a great way to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. christie is awesome at making friends. me, not so good. but she has taught me to be better at it. i agree with christie, start planning things and inviting people. invite the people you don't know and people you'd like to get to know. whether it's for lunch, out to a movie, or anything else. something i'm thinking of starting is a recipe club. i'm thinknig of inviting 12+ people and we'd meet once a month. everyone brings something (they are either assigned an entree, appetizer, dessert, plus the recipe.) you get to know one another, try new recipes, and just have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty anti-social, I guess. I already feel guilty that I don't keep in touch with friends I have, so I can't bring myself to acquire new ones. There's just so many years to catch up on to get to zero and start fresh! I do wish I had some friendly acquaintances, that don't require guilt.

    My actual best friends are my grandkids. They love me whenever, but don't seem to miss me much if I'm not around. They never say, "Where have YOU been hiding?" I'd suggest friends who are little kids, and already have a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friends are my greatest blessing, and I do include my sisters, nieces, aunts all included in that group. I'm sure you will break into this new chapter of your life perfectly..like you do everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate Marty's comment. Since I'm very much in Mommy Mode, I find myself hanging around my kids' school's probably more than most moms because I like to 'make the rounds' with all my new best friends under 11 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very molly-ish...but I have really made some of the best friends visiting teaching and being visited. Also, I love my bookclub...it is a great group of ladies and we are all different ages and backgrounds. I like to have parties a lot too...

    ReplyDelete

thanks for making my day with your thoughts...