Tuesday, June 19, 2007

spotlight effect

i read an interesting article in oprah magazine at about the "spotlight effect" ...how many of you have ever felt self-consious, walking into a room, giving a talk or lesson...being in the spotlight? i have many many times...the article said that alot of times we try to avoid embarrassment by just not doing something...but, the problem with this is that we don't become who we could be..how many times have you not worn some outfit because you thought too many people would notice it or not like it? how many times have you known the answer, but not said anything? these are self limiting behaviors...and i have many of them...i've overcome alot..but, still have to work on quite a few..how do we do this? what we have to remember is that when we think everyone in the room is staring at us...most likely that is not the case...we need to act as if there is no spotlight on us..we might need to practice this..but after awhile it will feel natural...and in the long run..so what if we are embarrassed...at least we have tried..we need to realize that we can survive in the spotlight..we need to go out of our comfort zone...and realize that we will gain more positive than negative reinforcement...in the end, people will be impressed by your daring..and want to do the same...so stop hiding and step out into the spotlight!

10 comments:

  1. bravo. to you and that oprah mag. i always gain monthly insight from that magazine! you are right jo and such an excellent example of stepping out into the light unafraid and confident!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know that i'm unafraid or confident...that's why the article struck me so...but, i'm working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to read the article! Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate walking back to my seat after giving the opening prayer in Sacrament because of the "spotlight" syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At Gabi's wedding I was rushing to watch them cut the cake when my heel sunk deep into the grass. I fell flat on my face! I was the mother-of-the-bride, supposedly IN the spotlight and not one person noticed me! I crawled out of the bushes and went inside with my face burning from embarrassment. That taught me a lesson. Nobody is watching most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and if they are watching, i guess it's better to just laugh...at kerry's graduation i got pooped on by a seagull...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that Jo..I need to read that post everyday & go for it. Sorry about the bird poo..in italy that means good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that was me that deleted the post....I accidently posted the same comment twice.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for making my day with your thoughts...